Introduction

MY name is John C. Kreuz and this blog is my thoughts on anything automotive related. Reviews of cars, new and old, stories of my past driving and car-related experiences and any kind of automotive news or humor that I can get my hands on. I hope you enjoy and feel free to give me your input.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

'02 Kia Rio A/C compressor

MY cousin's girlfriend's Kia Rio is in need of a new A/C Compressor. He asked me for help a couple days ago. After researching on the internet, I came up with almost nothing. Rob, I can tell you that a new compressor costs around $300. I would try Autozone or maybe a local junkyard. Installation should take about a hour and at the average shop rate, that'd be $80. Then, you are looking at recharging the system once it's installed. You might be looking at $400-$500, depending on who you go to. Stay away from dealers. They charge too much and do the same job as the average corner mechanic (no offense, Greg).

The Rio has a serpentine belt, I think and that means that if the compressor goes, then the belt goes, too. You will instantly feel this when you lose power steering, your temperature gauge goes up and the "battery" or "alternator" light will come on the dash. Pull over and have the car towed to a shop. You will either run the battery dead or the engine will overheat if you keep driving it and that will cause extensive engine damage.

Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment